Your roof is a system composed of various parts that need to work together in order to give you and your family the protection that you need. Knowing these various parts can help you get a better understanding of how your entire roofing system works.
Roofers in Annapolis like us at Blair Construction have been working on various roofs since 1987—that’s almost 30 years of industry experience! As such, we have familiarized ourselves with these different parts. In order to help you learn more about your roofing system, we have prepared this guide of some of your roof’s important parts:
- Fascia. Fascia boards form the covering that protects the ends of the roof edge. These provide protection against water damage. They also contribute to your home’s aesthetic appeal as they give the roof edge a smoother appearance.
- Soffit. Soffits are found underneath the overhanging section of the roof eaves. Their primary function is to assist in ventilating the attic.
- Underlayment. This is the black paper covering the plywood sheeting on the roof. This helps form a layer of protection that helps seal the roof against the weather.
- Flashing. This refers to the metal covering that helps divert water away from areas where it might collect. These are often found around the chimney, vents, and pipes.
- Shingles/Tiles. These make the outermost covering of your roof and function as the primary barrier against the elements.
- Roof Truss. The trusses are basically the skeleton of the roof. They provide the necessary support structure for the entire roofing system.
Some of the terms we’ve mentioned above may be parts that you’re already familiar with, and some may be terms that you’ve heard about for the first time. Either way, if you need further assistance with understanding your roofing in Annapolis, you can call us at Blair Construction for inspections or other roofing services, including repairs or replacement.